De La Hoya Staying Silent on Canelo vs. Munguia Rumors

Promoter Oscar De La Hoya is staying quiet about the May 4th fight discussion between undisputed super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez and Golden Boy fighter Jaime Munguia for Cinco de Mayo.

Salvador Rodriguez of ESPN Knockout reported earlier on Thursday that Canelo vs. Munguia is confirmed for a dual-platform event on Amazon Prime and DAZN PPV on May 4th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Mike Coppinger also reported today that the Canelo-Minguia fight is being finalized.

The Silence Speaks Volumes

Oscar’s unwillingness to come out and confirm the Canelo-Munguia fight is happening on May 4th, despite the numerous reports, is interesting. He acknowledges the speculation but insists “there’s zero news whatsoever,” failing to look at the reporters when saying those words.

“There’s nothing I can say about that literally. I do know Canelo is fighting on Cinco de Mayo. Those are his dates,” said Oscar De La Hoya to the media today. “There’s been a lot of chatter about this fight [Canelo vs. Munguia], but right now, there’s zero news whatsoever.

De La Hoya is in a position where he’s likely been told not to speak on the fight, as he’s not the lead promoter. Canelo is no longer with Golden Boy, and De La Hoya’s fighter, Munguia is the B-side opponent.

Waiting Game

When the fight is announced, it’ll be from Canelo promoters, which could be from PBC’s side because he’s reportedly back with them for this fight. De La Hoya obviously doesn’t want to say too much and potentially mess up his fighter, Munguia’s big payday. This might be Munguia’s last chance to get the fight with Canelo before the Mexican star retires.

“Canelo is the champion now and the man in boxing. I have to respect that and Cinco de Mayo and September until he’s finished, then somebody else will take over. That’s just the way it is. I’m pretty sure that when the fighters are ready to speak, they’ll speak,” said De La Hoya.