Exciting Alex Dilmaghani Aiming for Stability and Activity in 2024

Alex Dilmaghani will have to wait a little longer before making his return to action, but the English super featherweight told Boxing Scene that all the pieces remain in place for a busy 2024.

Dilmaghani (20-2-1, 7 KOs) had been due to face Orlando “Capu” Gonzalez (22-2, 12 KOs) on March 27, but a hand injury ruled the Puerto Rican out of the fight.

Dilmaghani, 32, announced the postponement of the contest on social media: “My fight with Orlando Gonzalez on March 27th has been unfortunately postponed to a later date due to him picking up a hand injury however I’ll still be fighting beforehand at a date & venue TBA.”

Injuries, boxing politics and plain bad luck have restricted the supremely dedicated Dilmaghani to only two appearances since 2020, but his fortunes should be about to change now that he has some stability to his career.

Dilmaghani will still be managed by Jamie Conlan of Conlan Boxing, but he has signed a promotional deal with ProBox. The deal guarantees Dilmaghani a minimum of three fights per year.

Dilmaghani is also happy and settled with his new trainer, Sean O’Hagan. Now he just needs to rebuild the momentum he had gained from his exciting performances in back-to-back Fight of the Year contenders.

In 2019, Dilmaghani’s fight with Francisco Fonseca for a vacant IBO super featherweight title ended in a majority draw after 12 brutal rounds. The following year, he was stopped by European 130-pound champion Samir Ziani in the final session of a breathtaking war.

With a solid team behind him, Dilmaghani will be hoping to quickly return to title level and make an impact in a busy super featherweight division. He said that his postponed fight with Gonzalez will take place later this year.